Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ran to the liquor store tonight to pick up a few items. While waiting for my turn to check out I noticed the patron ahead of me having a conversation with the cashier. A few seconds went by and as I got closer, I noticed that the fellow checking out was talking on his bluetooth headset and the cashier had a phone under her ear and was having a completely different conversation. He finished his transaction and continued his conversation as he walked out the door. The cashier continued hers and went all the way to handing me back my credit card before a muffled "Thank you".

I have a bluetooth headset, but it's a strange sensation having conversations on it... it feels like I am just talking into space.. or most of the time to my windshield. Maybe if I hold my hand to the side of my head and pretend to have a phone it would seem more normal? I feel like I am being rude if I am talking on it when the drive-through speaker asks for my order, and that is not even a real person (OK, I guess there is one somewhere). Do other people feel this way? Or do I need to adapt to the new age of communications everywhere, all the time... I don't think I have that much to talk about! :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's rude to talk on a phone or any other communication gadget while in the course of a business transaction or among friends or family even. Ever had someone tell you to wait a minute while they switch over to the other line to answer that call? ACK! I think that is incredibly rude.
But I think we are a few against many trillion who don't have any qualms about doing it.

MarkEC said...

Good to hear... hang on, have to comment on another blog... OK, back.

Good point! :-)

Unknown said...

AAarrggh, et tu? Heehee