Monday, October 22, 2007

Had a wonderful weekend with trips to a friend's wedding on Friday evening at the Antrim Manor in Taneytown, and to "Symphony with a Twist" on Saturday night at the Meyerhoff in Baltimore. The "Twist" series always has an unusual aspect to the performances... in this case, the first piece "Frankenstein" had the orchestra supplementing their usual instruments with toy instruments, plastic tubes, and a percussionist blowing up and popping paper bags (and throwing them towards the conductor afterwards). It was definitely not your expected orchestra performance, probably a part of why we enjoyed it. The blue martini's before hand may have helped? ;-)


Also of note, the day arrived last Thursday that our family no longer has a car older than my daughter. I had taken ownership of a 1990 Toyota pickup and used it for the past year or so for mulch runs, dump runs, etc. But with it needing a new exhaust system to pass emissions, 5th gear not quite reliable and a lot of rust underneath.. I decided it was time to give it to charity and free up the space in the driveway. One American Red Cross web form later and I had a call that someone would be by soon to pick up the pickup. So sometime Thursday, while I was out at lunch, the truck vanished from my driveway, on to wherever those things go.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, sad...a beloved truck in my family would NEVER have been discarded like so much rust and junk!

Just kidding. I need a truck so much I am not thinking clearly! My car is hacked at me for treating it like a truck. Then I'm cursing when I actually need to dress up nicely or haul "clean" things Like passengers, somewhere.

Anne said...

blue martini?

MarkEC said...

Anne - yeah, they were blue.. can't remember the name, Symphony something or what was in them... sounds like I had more than one doesn't it ;-)

MarkEC said...

Greeny - once they start making strange noises, getting hard to start in the morning, not moving too fast, and problems with the frame, its time to get rid of them... hey wait a minute, that sounds a lot like me! ;-)

AM Kingsfield said...

They were called "Blue Symphonys". And since I had the ultimate designated driving situation, not even having to walk in my wheelchair, I had two! Something was sloshy about my second one though.