Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How long is soon? I have many references, but they are all so vague. "See you soon"... could be a few hours to a few weeks or more. The popular e-mail ending.. "talk to you soon" seems fairly short, since the easier "ttyl" ("talk to you later") would be used for a longer time span. My daughter's response when I ask her to do something.. "I will soon" can be anywhere from minutes to the end of time. Then there is "ASAP" or "As soon as possible"... a popular acronym, which should have some sense of urgency, but seems to mean "when I can get around to it".

The reason I need to know... a light appeared on my dashboard for the first time in my car's 8 year lifespan. "Service Engine Soon" in brilliant yellow. It's not flashing, the car is running fine as best I can tell (and it is in no way related to the amount of fuel I have left in the car). So I am planning to get it checked out in the next day or so. Should I be concerned? Maybe it should have said "Service Engine ASAP".

6 comments:

Anne said...

oil change?

Maureen said...

I worked for awhile at a car dealership in the service dept. and from what I could tell those ligths are based on mileage, to get you in for what they call regular scheduled mantenace, when you have the 30,000 mile or whatever mile it is they reset the light. For all its worth thats how I see it

Mom said...

Car light soon is whenever you can get to it - a week maybe two.It will soon be the weekend is a few days. It will soon be Christmas depends on if you are talking to an adult or a child. I'll do it soon means you should do it yourself.

MarkEC said...

Not sure how this happened... maybe my car noticed me donating the truck to charity today.. but it healed itself.. the "service engine soon" light went off.

Unknown said...

Any light that implies things aren't right with the car strikes fear in my heart and I worry about it till I get it looked at. In my case, ASAP- within a day or so.

Ah, so you have vehicles that think, huh? Very interesting....

Maureen said...

Cars not only think they can hear. We have a rule, never talk about money in front of your car (or appliances). If they know you have any extra money, they feel it is nessasary to find a way to spend it. Think about it you can probably think of a time this has happen to you.