Monday, October 15, 2007

It's been an interesting few days... my big work event went well last Friday. We have received praise from our Institute Director on down and it looks to become an annual event! Oh joy another 12 hour workday! ;-) I took on the D.C. beltway on a Friday evening to catch up with AM and enjoy her fun event. Many stories have been written of the D.C. beltway, but they are only true when there is an accident, which is almost daily... I was lucky that night, no accidents and it was a relatively painless drive. John the Trucker would appreciate that I did not try to cut anyone off, just patiently plodded along and listened to some soothing music. :-)

Saturday had me on a quest to find the title for my old pickup so I could donate it to charity. That had the added task of sorting and filing about a years worth of documents that had piled up. It was something that needed to be done, but it is mindless work. I found the title in the very last pile of papers I sorted.. how does that happen all the time! The bonus side was finding some savings bonds that had been stashed away for many years, maybe I will spend them on something extravagant? (Or save them for many more years?)

Sunday was a day for everyone to catch up on sleep, watch some TV, order some wedding presents, and for me to format the huge amounts of text from Friday to be ready for this week. Another mindless (OK, semi-mindless) task that would have probably driven me crazy had I not had the appropriate beverage and TV diversions.

Today started off with the right plans, but after a phone call from school and a daughter who did not feel well, turned into a work at home day, doctor's appt, etc. As AM mentioned about being off balance, these are the days I feel off balance. I know what I should be doing, but need to adapt to the situation quickly. She has had to adapt for a long time... I cannot complain about one day!

So my tasks remain, to properly "jellify" a PB&J sandwich for my daughter's lunch tomorrow (her term, not mine), take out the recycling, walk the dog and get ready for another day. Will see how things work out tomorrow. :-)

6 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

A day in the life of a single dad - sounds exhausting! Good thing you have skills - you know like flexible skills, jellifying skills, numchuk skills.

Anne said...

jellify?

Mom said...

I have seen you adapt and flex at a moments notice. i think you must be a pretty good dad.

MarkEC said...

The verbal form of "jellification". To apply the proper proportion of grape jelly in a ratio of 2.3 to 1 to peanut butter.. as preferred by my daughter. ;-)

Anne said...

Ah.

Similar to jamify. The verb form of jamification, to put one's jammies on, or pyjamas.

Unknown said...

Flexibility is the Holy Grail of my world.
I have achieved it, relativly speaking but not without some deep breaths and a little mind game. And it CAN be exhausting.

Jellification and jamification- heehee.