Sunday, June 10, 2007


Well, it's official... I am now the parent of a teenage daughter. She turned 13 yesterday and celebrated it the way she wanted... with a sleepover party with her close friends, pizza, hot tubbing and DDR. Oh, and there was cake and presents too of course.

I expect the next few years to be an adventure as she becomes more independent, rebellious and emotional, hopefully not all on the same day! We are a lot alike in some ways, so that may help? She has a quick-witted sense of humor, a pretty laid back attitude on life and at most times common sense. Of course the action/consequence thing needs some work as she and her friends demonstrated yesterday by staying up most of the night... but I did that also when I was her age, so can't fault them too much.

It will be curious to see if I am still blogging as she reaches college age and beyond and I can look back and remember this day and the step it is towards her life on her own. Each year I think of the things I want to do for her while she is still young and try to balance what will be best for her today, next year and 10 years from now. Being divorced has made that harder in some ways.. but I do my best and am proud of the teenager she is today. Will see if I write that again next year. ;-)

Any suggestions from seasoned veterans out there?

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

Not a veteran, just someone starting down the same road.

I think kids, like everyone else, just want to be treated respectfully. There is so much to teach, so much to learn from each other. I'm hoping if I cut her some slack every now & then, she might return the favor.

MarkEC said...

I agree.. maybe we can share our experiences as we travel down this road.