Saturday, June 30, 2007

As parents, it is our job to teach our children to be independent at some stage in their life. We try to do this appropriately, so we don't teach our 4 year olds to cut the grass and cook dinner. As my daughter has reached teenager status, I decided a rite of passage was due. While playing her favorite game (World of Warcraft) the other day, she was locked out of her account and after a few hours, she came to me for help. I told her to call technical support and work it out. Was this cruel? ;-) She reluctantly dialed the phone and waited. "Dad, I hate this music", comes from the other room... I told her that it could be hours on hold and that the phone battery would probably die (trying to prepare her for the worst). After about 10 minutes or so, I could hear her talking to someone. "Dad, whose name is on this account?" My reply.. "I don't know.. just know my credit card is paying for it!". Some more time passes.. and my daughter comes walking into the kitchen. "All fixed?", I asked. "Yes", she replied, looking quite proud of herself. What should be next on the list? I guess she has a few years before she needs to deal with the MVA. :-)

3 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

I'm VERY impressed! Obviously she was proud of herself. I know that no one enjoys calling those lines. I hate it. But if she learns that she can do that young, then maybe she won't have the phobia about it that I have.

Sue said...

Wow, I am offically a blogger. I enjoy checking in on you now and then. Too cool!!

MarkEC said...

Great Sue! You have to post something now.. that is the hard part! ;-)