Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My drive into Rockville was unusually slow this morning, but with the proper daydreaming material and some music, the time passes nicely. I heard an old Chuck Mangione song on the jazz station this morning and was reminded of going speaker shopping in Columbus, OH with my college roommate. He wanted to hear all these different speakers playing the same song... must have heard that 20 times that day. I seem to have a lot of memories attached to songs... I guess everyone does.. but here are a few of mine.

Downtown by Petula Clark - first song I ever remember.. AM radio in my mom's VW Beatle in Myrtle Beach.
Lola by the Kinks - first radio I ever owned, a freebie from a radio station tour
Honaloochie Boogie - Mott the Hoople - first 45 I ever bought.. not a great first record, but I lived in England at the time. Telly Savalas had a hit record there!
Yes - Fragile tour (in the round) - first concert.
Time for me to fly - REO Speedwagon - driving all night to Daytona Beach for Spring break in college
She's a Beauty - The Tubes - playing DJ for my grad school dorm. Lots of those.. Spandau Ballet, Thompson Twins... trying to find stuff to get people dancing. (It was the 80's) ;-)
Sweet Love - Anita Baker - wedding song
My Yellow Blanket - Barnie CD - driving my daughter to school each morning (when she was in Kindergarten)... I hated that song!

There are many more... and I am working on some new ones! Anyone care to share a few of their memorable songs?

2 comments:

Anne said...

Everybody wants to Rule the World was playing on the radio when I got into my car right after college graduation.

AM Kingsfield said...

Arizona by Bobby Sherman - singing it at my neighbor's house in elementary school

Someone's Knocking at the Door - Paul McCartney - summers at BSR pool

Echoes by Pink Floyd, open lunch at High School

more recently, Corrine Bailey Rae