Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another long blogging hiatus. It's not that nothing has been happening around here, just never seem to get around to writing it down. I just finished refinancing my house and am now driving around in my fully registered, titled and tagged, new to me car. Plans for redoing my 70's vintage kitchen are floating through my brain. Planning for a big summer vacation with AM and the kids has been keeping my mind full of things to do, tickets to purchase, passports to renew... where is my daughter's birth certificate? Searching through my cryptic filing system to find it. (I did).

Then there are all the delightful weekend activities. Celebrated a wonderful Valentine's Day with my sweetheart, followed by her birthday a few days later. We had a lovely time together, celebrating, wandering around the historic part of town and shopping. Her youngest bought a puppet that I will wait for her to describe, but she has had us laughing many times with "Chris". We also got to celebrate her dad's birthday, with dinner one weekend and a big party the next.

Weekdays have been primarily work, taking care of the daughter, running back and forth to the farm. I kept the old to me car for farm trips, but we did decide to take it to the car wash and remove at least a few months mud from the inside and outside. I washed the other car too.. which led to the two bouts of winter weather last week, so the Maryland road crews could turn all the roads white with salt and turn my car into something that resembled a giant salt lick. Not complaining too much.. at least I could get out and about.

So, lots of fabulous things going on, many mundane things going on, all in all, life is good! :-)

5 comments:

just me said...

Hi Mark -
I had a nasty experience applying for a passport for E. Took her to the local post office, all went well, we thought... then I get two separate letters from the State Dept. First - since hubby was not there when we applied, he now has to sign (and get notarized) a consent form for her to get a passport. Ridiculous or what? It seems that as of 2/1 (the day we applied) children under 16 have to be accompanied by BOTH parents, or else submit this dumb form. No one told us.

The 2nd letter stated that the adult's relationship to the minor "has not been established." Turns out that because my maiden name is on E's birth cert (she was born in VA) and my ID has my married name (which is the same as hers) they now need me to send in my marriage license.

How is this helping national security?

I wrote a letter to the postmaster complaining about the lack of communication, and much to my surprise, he actually called me today to apologize, and tell me he was going to share my letter with his staff at their weekly meeting. I sure hope it helps.

Sorry to be so long but I was REALLY pissed.

MarkEC said...

Wow.. thanks for the comment. My daughter has a previous passport that expired two years ago.. I wonder if I will have to drag her mom in and get her marriage license too.. she has remarried now. This could be more of a pain than I anticipated.

just me said...

Check in advance - I happen to have the passport office's phone number - 877-487-2778. I'm guessing all you'll need is the form 3053, signed by her mom (and notarized), since you're the one who's applying. (I assume you and your daughter share the same last name.)

Let me know how it works out - hope this info helps.

AM Kingsfield said...

Wow, I encountered the same problem trying to leave the country once because my birth certificate didn't match my driver's license. Seems getting married is a paperwork hassle - among other things.
I'm glad you wrote a letter. You will help everyone!

Unknown said...

Wow! It's an exciting idea that you all are vacationing somewhere that needs a passport!
I just had a conversation with my coworker about our friend's trip to Puerto Vajarta. She cried when she had to come home. The beach, the water, the mountains and flora, the drinks at 9 am- I would cry to leave that too.
Hope the passport venture is not too much of a hassle. Sounds like you might have good advice on what to avoid.