Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Why do they do this? I had it programmed into my car, helping me calm down in the Washington D.C. traffic, but after 14 years, my jazz station changed formats and went to the Oldies. I must have missed the memo! Oh well.. my new to me car now has a new to me XM radio, so I can still listen to what I need to get me through those trying commutes. I am still trying to figure out my favorite stations.. which one's do you like (for those of you with XM)?

Tonight it was a delayed return, by way of the Kennedy Center. My daughter's middle school percussion ensemble was selected to play there as part of the Music in Our Schools program. It was a challenge for everyone to get there, but she had wonderful support in her performance from friends and family. While she did not seem to act like it was that big a deal, we all thought it was pretty cool. You can watch the performances from their website (My daughter's group is the second school.. the one's without guitars) You can almost see her in the photo.. ;-)


On my way into the performance, I got an e-mail that informed me that I was selected employee of the month! Not sure what special things I did in February that warranted such recognition, but it was nice just the same! Wonder what I should do with my extra day off? Suggestions?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

XM- I wish! And around here there aren't even any good oldies stations let alone JAZZ. The formats are rock, country, country and rock. They change in the blink of an eye too.
Wow! I am impressed with the Kennedy Center performance route! We were there sightseeing 3 years ago and I can't imagine my kids performing with their school there.
Yay for employee of the month!

Mom said...

Congratulations, Mr Employee of the Month. Is there money involved in this honor?
Tell the girl she rocks. great job
No XM here. i listen to 90.9 WETA - all classical

Dtodd said...

I'm not a fan of the narrow casting of each XM station. Its a diverse collection of anti diverse stations. Last time I had a rental car, I found myself listening to the X country station. It specialized in "Americana" or alt-country. Not too twangy. Congrats on the employee award. Kind of ironic that the prize for exemplary work is being told not to work.

AM Kingsfield said...

Perfect description of XM Dan. I'm enjoying my new XM (a lovely gift thank you). I love the "Song Saver" feature that works a bit like an iPod On-the-go playlist. That way, I at least have 10 songs I know I like on the radio.
I like The Verge, Fungus, the Mix, the Acoustic one, CNN, and comedy.

MMM said...

Congratulations on Employee of the Month.It is a big deal! Kudos to Mary and the percussion ensemble too. Sincere thanks to amkingsfield for her kindness in getting me to the Kennedy center. Regarding the loss of the jazz stations, see today's Washington Post Section M, style and arts, pg M5 for article by Marc Fisher: Smooth Jazz: Gentle Into That Good Night? It is happening nationwide. Lots of listeners called WJZW's owner, Citadel Broadcasting to complain. They don't really care because they need ad money from other listeners.

Anne said...

dant always makes good points.

congrats!