Thursday, March 20, 2008

I have been tagged to do a MiMe, but will have to come back to that another day. It's been a week of ups and downs. We had a wonderful few days off checking out local sites, theater events, tagging along on AM's work assignments, just general much needed relaxation.


We were on our way back from Frederick on Sunday and stopped by to visit my dad. It was unplanned and we arrived to find him having a hard time breathing and plans to go to the hospital were underway. After a brief visit, we helped get him and his stuff to the car and on his way.

We visited him that night, then again on Monday and Tuesday when he was transferred to the ICU. He was on a respirator and sedated, but able to communicate some between doses. He has always feared being stuck on a respirator, and he had been on one for two weeks a bit over a year ago. His COPD was determined to be the problem, possibly a few silent heart attacks that had further reduced his cardiac capacity, and there were impending kidney problems. Honoring his request, we had the respirator removed on Wednesday night, around 8 pm. His sister and brother-in-law, wife, myself and AM were there to give our love and support. With him comfortable and under sedation, I stayed with him until he passed at 11:50 this morning surrounded by loved ones.

I have been lucky to only have known a few people to die in my lifetime, some tragic, some expected.. but watching the end of his life, knowing how he has struggled with his illness, cancer, lack of energy, chemotherapy, and more... I saw him at peace and at rest. It was a sad, vivid moment that I will always remember, but there was also a sense of calm, knowing he had a wonderful life and that his wishes were done, and his physical battles were over.

Thanks for all you have taught me Dad.. I love you!

9 comments:

Mom said...

You are a good son whose life honors your father.
A big from me to you.

Anne said...

Blessings, from across the pond.

Linda said...

My prayers and thoughts are with you. Please know I am sending you continued peaceful energy. Namaste' Linda

julie said...

Mark, I am sorry.

John said...

I am so so sorry. I cannot imagine what you went through but I know that the day will come when I say good-bye to my own father. I echo Mom. You honor your father with your words and your life.

Unknown said...

Oh, Mark, my sympathies. I am so sorry and I hope you have comfort from being able to spend those last moments with your dad.
I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

just me said...

Mark, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It's good that you were able to be there with him at the end.

I was unable to be with my mom when she died and have felt badly about it ever since.

May his memory be for a blessing.

MarkEC said...

Thank you everyone. The outpouring of support has been so helpful. The visitation and service are the next two days so that should bring some additional closure. Thanks again!

AM Kingsfield said...

The goodness of your father is magnified by your kindness.

I know a lot of people have been leaning on you during this time of grieving. I'm happy to let you lean on me when you need to.