Monday, November 19, 2007

I am usually pretty patient, but when my cable, internet and phone all got knocked out this morning, I was a bit annoyed, since I do a fair amount of work from home. I called and reported it and was told that there was an outage and it would be back up soon. Patience I said. When my daughter came home from school at noon and could not contact me through our usual methods, phone, IM or e-mail... I was concerned. To keep the worst case scenarios from playing in my head, I dashed home after lunch to make sure all was OK. It was, apart from a young girl who was bored out of her mind! Now, I remember the days before internet, cable TV, video games, etc.. but this 13 year old has never known a day without the internet. It may as well have been a full power outage, we would have just been colder! :-) I walked out back and could see the painted lines in the grass showing where my cable was, and the fresh trench marks and spool of cable at the pole... I called Comcast again.. and was told that the outage was fixed. "Not for me", I replied. But since it was after 1 pm by this point, they could not send someone out until tomorrow, and that was going to be sometime during the day, would I be there?. "You mean I need to stay here all day so you can fix the cable you dug up in my back yard?", "Yes, sorry", she said (then started going on about the difference between a meteor and meteorite) ;-). We will see what time this repair gets done tomorrow. Fortunately, I have my cellular modem for the laptop, several hours of shows on my DVR and my cell phone. Redundancy can help with patience. :-)

4 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

aaarrggh

There are enough challenges in one day with this. You, at least , sound prepared for the emergency.

My kids are too internet/tv dependent. I hope to unplug them a bit over Thanksgiving.

Mom said...

Bless her little heart - and yours. Has she tried to read a book?

MarkEC said...

That was the first place she wanted to go.. Barnes & Noble... appears she has read everything around here.

John said...

See...meteorites do make a difference. Don't you just love bureaucracy?