Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Phew! 102 degrees today.. at least that is what the weather.com thing said on my computer. I know I endured this kind of heat and humidity as a child, but now I wonder how people survive without air conditioning in this part of the U.S.

When I lived in Baltimore City, we had window units and would avoid the parts of the house not being cooled.. but I have to think of the people who lived in that house in the 1900's (it was a very old house)... maybe it was more rural then, with breezes? Perhaps they were just "used to it"?

I remember when we lived in Florida, my parents used to keep the house at 70 degrees... brrr!.. and with 90+ degrees and 100 percent humidity outside, it was quite a shock to my system. But, the worst temperature contrast was when I worked in a beer and wine drive-through in Ohio. It was 115 degrees around the cars, 40 degrees in the coolers... and all the time we had to ask people if they wanted a soft pretzel! It was easily my least favorite summer job!

What were some of your least favorite summer jobs?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Drive -thru liquor! Yay! I was only 19 when I found out about those from my older Ohioan cuzin. I didn't get anything while I was there...really.
It was a favorite job actually but the most physically demanding- working for 5 years in a greenhouse in Missouri. I was always comfortable in summer while all my friends outside of work were sweating it up.

MarkEC said...

Growing things sounds like a very rewarding job... I think my favorite summer job was delivering pizzas, getting paid to drive around town in my Triumph with the music playing.

Anne said...

Don't forget, it was cooler 100 years ago, you have to subtract the global warming!

I cleaned campus apartments one summer. oh boy

AM Kingsfield said...

I cleaned houses. I was in my 20's and my trainers were old ladies - probably my age now. So I felt like I had to do all the heavy lifting. The worst part was being the first one home to a scared new puppy and not feeling up to cleaning up another mess.

Sue said...

It was detassling corn in Iowa at the tender age of 14. It paid really well (at least from a 14 year old's perspective) and I remember hating it. You would freeze cans of soda overnight and then wrap it in the morning with aluminum foil and guess what, it was perfect to drink at lunchtime. Also worked at an A&W drive-in at 14 too. No roller skates involved, however.