Tuesday, August 21, 2007

David Letterman has his "brushes with greatness" where people tell their stories of meeting someone famous, usually with a funny embellishment added.

When I was 11 in England, Queen Elizabeth II came to visit our school. We were all paraded out in our clean uniforms to greet her. As she came down the long line of kids, I wondered if she would stop to talk to me? We had all been "briefed" on proper behavior around the queen, and I was getting a little nervous. As she approached me, she stopped and turned... and asked the boy next to me his name and shook his hand. Darn.. all I can say now is that I almost met the Queen of England!

Also, many years later, I met Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek) and no it was not at a convention, it was at an overload gate during bad weather at the Cincinnati airport.. can't remember what I said to him.. but I got a smile... then realized who he was!

Care to share your brushes with greatness?

1 comment:

Mom said...

I saw the queen once, but not as close as you did. She was wearing a blue hat.
My husband's crazy Aunt Betty once rode an elevator in Manhattan with a famous entertainer. She was so excited and said, "I know you, You're Henry Belafonte!" He smiled and said,"You mean Harry, but no Ma'am, I'm not him." The entertainer was in fact Johnny Mathis.