Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm working along, waiting for midnight. At the end of each month, the traffic patterns for my work web site need to be analyzed to see what content is most popular, how many people are visiting the site, where they are coming from, etc. I could do this anytime I guess, but like to get this done so the computer can crunch through these huge files and we have all the data for last month when I get into the office tomorrow morning.

I was reading John's entertaining blog the other day about trucker language (http://longmiles.blogspot.com/) and was thinking about all our professional languages. When I was doing photography, it was about f/stops, focal lengths, depth-of-field, fish-eye's, push/pull proceessing, D-76 (yes, I am old) and so on. In computers, a whole new and dizzying array of terms and acronyms.

So tonight I will be rolling the logs and resetting the Apache service, then transferring them from the server and running them through the web analytics software. I am doing this all through a remote desktop connection on a VPN over TCP/IP, but on a non-standard port.

John... your language is much more interesting! :-)

2 comments:

Anne said...

I found my old film tanks in the basement recently. I miss the old days....

MarkEC said...

I do too.. there was something magical about watching a print develop and the technical challenge of manual cameras. But I need to get a new camera and jump into the digital age.