Friday, July 27, 2007

As the child of a military officer, I have lived in a lot of different places. Sometimes I think it would have been nice to have grown up in one area, but you don't really miss what you never knew. On the one hand, you get to start over many times, doing things differently, on the other hand, you tend to have to give up friends and make new ones. One thing for sure, you do get to experience different "cultures" and learn to appreciate parts of each of them, including your own.

I started this thinking of the regional forms of my entertainment in all these different locations as I was growing up... playing keep-away from the mosquito fogging truck in Florida (not really a game, more self-preservation); Cricket, Conkers - I think I had a 5-er once (here is how to play this strange game using horse chestnuts) and Snooker in England; Euchre, Ultimate Frisbee and various drinking games in college in Ohio (part of the education.. right?). As for living in Maryland, the games I have found unusual so far are a dart game variation on a wooden board (American Darts), Duckpin bowling and Pitch. Any other Maryland, Northeast US games I am missing? Have any special games that you played growing up? Any other forms of nut based entertainment? (I have to think Conkers is one of a kind). ;-)

2 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

nut-based entertainment
good one

MarkEC said...

Do you have any favorite games? With or without nuts...