Tuesday, December 11, 2007


It has been foggy here the last few days. Not sure if it has to do with my childhood living in England, but I find the fog comforting. Things seem quieter, there is usually not much of a breeze, sounds seem muffled. I also like the play of contrast, shades of gray on gray, the way lights are transformed into shapes and auras.. I often tried (usually unsuccessfully, I got this one from Google images) to capture that in my earlier days of black and white photography, will have to try again with my new camera. Maybe it is the attenuation of color on days like this that make them so vibrant when the sun comes back. Probably a life metaphor in there somewhere, but I will leave those to AM. ;-)

So many movies have made fog seem "evil", so I am thankful I have not seen too many of those, but a dog howling stills brings to mind the "Hound of the Baskervilles" a movie that made for some restless nights when I was a wee lad. ;-)

How do you feel on foggy days?

6 comments:

Anne said...

Fog's ok, not not comforting, but it's not evil, either.

Unknown said...

Laughing at Anne's comment.
Fog makes me feel different ways. Halloweenie fog can seem forboding and dreadful but Spring fog or Winter fog like today or yesterday or the day before that...can slow my mind down and encourage me to wrap myself in a blanket and curl up on the couch. It is comforting.
BUT, I would never want to live in a perpetually foggy place because I NEED the sun. And I don't look that great in a trench coat.

Unknown said...

And cool about the photos. Drag 'em out and let us see them! Unless you're chicken....

AM Kingsfield said...

oooh a dare!

I think fog looks mystical and it makes me thing of the Forbidden Forest. It does urge a second cuppa coffee and a cozy couch. I need the sun too, but contrast is always welcome.

MarkEC said...

Normally I love a dare, or at this time of year a double-dog dare... but my old photos are stored away somewhere (my mom's perhaps). I will have to do some searching. I'm not chicken.. really! ;-)

John said...

Fog puts me to sleep. It's all about the driving thing and not being able to see anything but the wall of cotton in front of you.

And greeny, they say I look great in a trench coat but I won't wear one for fear of being arrested. Did that once wearing some shorts under it and ...man! What a night!