Monday, September 10, 2007

"Popcorn workers' lung" Have you ever heard of it? I remember something about some fatalities at a popcorn plant some years ago.. but then I read this:

Exposure to synthetic butter in food production and flavoring plants has been linked to hundreds of cases of workers whose lungs have been damaged or destroyed. Diacetyl is found naturally in milk, cheese, butter and other products.

Heated diacetyl becomes a vapor and, when inhaled over a long period of time, seems to lead the small airways in the lungs to become swollen and scarred. Sufferers can breathe in deeply, but they have difficulty exhaling. The severe form of the disease is called bronchiolitis obliterans or “popcorn workers’ lung,” which can be fatal.


Now I am a huge fan of microwave popcorn, it was the reason microwaves were invented I think, and it is a staple in my daughter's "diet". So should I be concerned? Reading further I find that the fellow the article is about is 53 years old, was eating popcorn at least twice a day for more than 10 years, and had a habit of inhaling the vapors from the bag when it came out of the microwave....which seems to be the worst thing to do. His doctor told him to stop eating popcorn and he lost 50 lbs and can breathe better now.

So for now, I guess my daughter and I can keep eating popcorn...in moderation.. but perhaps we should stop huffing the buttery vapors from the bag? (Article from NY Times)

1 comment:

AM Kingsfield said...

I find popcorn goes well with red wine for dinner. I'm willing to risk the vapors.