Sunday, September 23, 2007

Doesn't seem like nearly a week since I posted last. I was in the dad routine... having my daughter with me this past week. Had to do some emergency shopping for jeans on Monday, since she seems to have shot up again. I really don't want her all grown up yet.. but it sure will be nice to be able to buy her clothes that will last a while!

Wednesday was my girlfriend's surgery to set the breaks in her lower leg. Was at the hospital with her parents to offer whatever support I could. She was in at 7:30 am and out at 2:30 pm, to go home to recuperate. I have to say I don't agree with this modern philosophy of medical care. She should have had at least a night in the hospital with the pain medicine on demand. Instead she had to suffer through it at home. She has her mother staying with her, who compliments her motherly nuturing with her past nursing skills, but it was still a long period of unrelenting pain. She is doing better the last few days, sleeping longer and finding the right combinations of medicines that keep her comfortable.

I got a chance to visit on Friday and Saturday, doing a few honey-do's, cooking a few meals, trying to play Florence Nightingale (OK that is tough for a guy). :-) I am hoping to be able to do more in the coming weeks.


Today my daughter was with me to go to our annual local horse event, the Columbia Classic Grand Prix. We sat in the heat and watched horses that I will never be able to afford, jump over fences higher than I ever want to think of my daughter jumping. I overheard a mother near me saying that if her daughter ever did this, she would probably have a heart attack on the spot. Only had one bad spill.. a fellow was launched off his horse into a fence, when his mount refused at the last second (he was fine)... sometime's I wonder how many people come to watch the horses "crash".. like in NASCAR? ;-) We saw a lot of people we know from the various horse farms and summer camps, as expected.

2 comments:

Anne said...

How old did you say your daughter was? My daughter won't stop growing either, I know a place for her too short jeans.....

MarkEC said...

She turned 13 in June, I think she is 5'5" now. Will gather up the outgrown clothing on our next purge of the bedroom. Welcome back from your Florida jaunt!